Pages

My Blog List

Tuesday 5 February 2013

PUSH ON (with an encouraging article by Omojuwa : for bloggers only)





So I have to share this article with you all. Not because I want anyone to respect me or get me pageviews out of pity or something. There's this amazing thing about life, do things because you have joy doing them not because you want any profit from it. Because of your love for what you do, profit(s) would surely fall in. Don't even do things because people want you to do them, or because that's what people want. Do it because you have joy doing it. (Not sexual) *winks.

So whether you remain a full-time blogger (if that's the only job) or you've got another job, there's more to things than what we see. Am not blogging because of money but if money is going to be its fruit then I'll be glad to eat! When I used to be a 'weak willer' I closed a page on facebook. But now with motivation and support from God and readers, I'm not giving up.


Here is the omojuwa article: For Bloggers Only

So yes, if you have a real job and make a living off that I am glad for you. There are folks who don’t even have any.


This article is for bloggers who want to make a living out of the art. I will say some things here that’d portray me as proud but what has to be said has to be said. My attention has been drawn to what bloggers are about and what they are not based on the perception of some folks who feel we should get real jobs. I have ignored too many articles about the essence and importance of bloggers in the Nigerian political and social system. I ignored these articles because I believe a footballer’s best answer for his critics is to play better. In essence, a blogger’s best answer for his or her critics is to blog better, make more money and have more influence.


Nigerians are a unique people. We have a box in our heads of what a real job should or should not be. I have read tweets and comments from people who say things like “go and get a real job.” I checked the profile of one of those, and I found out he worked in a bank. That’s a real dream job for many Nigerians. I am first to admit that blogging is not a real job, but I never wanted a real job so I am fine. I could decide to work from my toilet seat on a Monday morning if I so desire. I could even decide not to bother at all after all I pay folks to post materials on my blog. I know a blogger who turns in at least N4 million per month. I don’t turn in that much every month but I am not in anyway far from that. Not only can I afford to take care of my own bills, I cater to the bills of numerous others. Last year blogging took me to four continents, made me earn money in at least 5 major currencies and I still do and will always do!


Let me assure you, if you really love blogging and you are willing to wait the period it takes to be regarded and to get the hits, it really does pay. I saw @Olorisupergal for the first time last April and she has grown in leaps and bounds since then. She not only gets free tickets to major events – I know many can afford them but “free” always feels good – she gets paid to talk about them. I should not tell you about Linda Ikeji beyond saying she’d buy that banker I mentioned earlier at least 20 times over every month. Of course it took her years – about 4 – to get a dime from blogging but today there is a chance she won’t have space for you if you don’t go early enough to pay for your space on her blog.


I do not blog for money. But I make money from blogging. This is just an aspect of a whole. The other part of the whole is that I get to speak about what I do all over the world. Later this year I’ll be on a tour of Europe and I got so busy speaking about this thing I had to employ more hands. The reason is because I love speaking and I love seeing the world. I will always blog. When they abuse us bloggers as not having real jobs, they are speaking from the point of our parents who saw musicians, footballers, photographers, make-up artistes e.t.c as nobodies. Today, our parents know better. If Bloggers are not there yet, that’s because we need more of you to redefine your game and up the ante.


So yes, if you have a real job and make a living off
that I am glad for you. There are folks who don’t even have any. This is how you a blogger should answer those who tell you to get a real job; keep doing what you do, keep doing it in your own unique way, if you must copy anyone do not forget to add your own touch and personality. Be different because that’s what sells. Be brave, be real and be you. Bloggers are bosses!
Follow @omojuwa on twitter or visit www.omojuwa.com

Thanks for reading this, you can ask us any questions. God bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Samgbotemi@gmail.com