Pages

My Blog List

Thursday 1 August 2013

At the mention of HIV test...

This particular story may or may not reflect to some the importance of taking HIV test. But really, at the mention of HIV test, how do you feel? One of the moments people fear the most is when they go for HIV test or have to take HIV test because of some medical, social reasons.
I can boldly say that no matter how courageous you are, you will lose some 'pound' of courage/boldness. It is not just sex that I'm laying emphasis on. I know you all are knowledgeable and you'd know that you can contact the virus from other sources and these sources are closer to you or surrounds you more than sex (unsafe). That's why I think at the mention of HIV test, all courage must bow!

Lemme share with you my experience and a friend's case.

We had a medical week at church and on the last day we all had to take HIV test. I always make sure I avoid HIV test not just because I'm wayward but it's HIV you can never be too sure. Like seriously it's HIV you can get it from almost anything. But that day, I couldn't dodge it. My mum was one of the people in charge. I started sweating profusely after my blood sample was taken. But at the end it came out negative, I didn't pass (positive)..... Lol


Now to my friend's case. She pinged a late night just to share her story with me....


"I had a bit of health issues, it led to having series of surgery. Gbotemi, I go tell you one case wey you go know wetin happen to me.

I was admitted on a friday around 6am and was still on check till sunday before they decided to take me in for surgery on monday. The doctor came around and said they needed to carry out some tests, that they have to take some precaution. They had to examine my urine, blood. And she told me they have to carry out HIV test. Instantly, my heart skipped. She dropped a bomb. I started feeling high temperature, I had a feel I was growing goose pimples inside of me. She took the blood sample anyways and left.

My dad was with me but my mom and step mom were sent away. Because of panic, I urinated thrice in 15mins. And my dad was like kilo se e (what's wrong with you?). I told him nothing while I tried to hide my shaky voice. A nurse came to check my BP twice and it was rising on the two occasions. They didn't understand what was making my BP increase. They felt it was the fear of the surgery. To me I know say na HIV test dey kill me small small.

And after 2hours, I couldn't get the result. At this stage I started recounting the number of unprotected sex I've had, the unsterilized blades I used in the past, the blood I've been in contact with. I was already thinking about how to live with the stigma and probably flee from friends and family.

Finally, she came but didn't say anything. She dropped the case note on the table. She left to prepare for theatre. I couldn't wait , I peeped inside the file. And my cheeks lifted with the running smile from within, I sighed and the BP machine wey dey my hand come dey reduce. Then I said to myself, let's do this surgery".

As great as the fear of taking HIV test is, we should endeavour to take cautions. Make sure you protect yourself, don't have an unprotected sex unless he/she is your partner for life. Be faithful to your partner...... If you can't , then Abstain!
Also be careful of sharp objects and always use sterilized blades or new blades. We all know all these warnings or procedures, we should take note of them and observe them. So that at the mention of HIV test , we won't die before death.

Finally, let's show love to people living with the virus. Let's care for them and don't stigmatize. You never know what's coming for you too..... Give them your heart.

2 comments:

  1. Can't just stop laughing, I thought I was d only one dat do av high temperature&BP durin HIV test Lol..... Nice work btw kay ure always on point!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO! Yet to do HIV test tho, I never get the liver :D.

    ReplyDelete

Samgbotemi@gmail.com