Pages

My Blog List

Wednesday 21 August 2013

Path not taking- 'Niyi Ademoroti

(Please note that the above title is not a "gbagaun". "Taking" here, refers to the future, not the usual "Taken" for the past. Thanks.)

I have absolutely no idea where I'm going with this piece, I'll just keep going regardless, just keep on.
I'm in a bus at Oshodi, on my way home from "work", listening to White Lies' Big TV (album) after a quite "revealing" day.
Work was just as it always is, very… uneventful. Jumoke says I have the dream job, getting paid what a normal intern wouldn't earn, all for just tweeting and Facebook-ing. The problem? I don't quite feel like I'm in a dream. I am not happy. Why am I not happy?

I'm a social media intern (trust me, it is not half as glamorous as it sounds) at a lovely estate firm, where I have what I (thought I) always wanted - cool bosses and very nice co-workers -. I can remember telling a friend on my way to the interview, that I could never work there because of the distance from my house. I can remember when I walked in and saw the bosses about to interview me, I just knew I was going to take the job (because I was certain they would offer one ^_^); they seemed so cool compared to the bloody tight-asses I had my 3-months Industrial Placement with.
Now I sit in front of a laptop, 8am to 5pm, composing tweets and wall posts. Very easy. Very… unfulfilling.
Most of my classmates and friends will probably think I'm crazy, but, I hate my job. God, I hope my bosses do not see that.

Yes, I have the dream job, problem is, it's not my dream. Lekan has my dream job. Kind of. Not really. Well, Lekan is a friend who works at a very reputable publishing house (kind of sha), he is like the Knight over there. He works endlessly. Stays up late at night preparing proposals (he just explained to me what a proposal comprises of ^_^). He attends meetings, pitches in ideas, attends un-meetings (whatever that is). He's awesome and he has an awesome job. He's also about to get a screenwriting job for a very popular African series, yes, African.

I'm not saying I want Lekan's job, nor do I expect to be given such respect/responsibility accorded to him, he has been doing what he does for tons of years, I only just started writing very recently, and I'm not even nearly as good. I do not expect my opinions to matter considering the job experience I have is the 3 weeks (2 and a half weeks actually) I spent at my bloody - yes, I use that word again - 3 months Industrial Placement. I do not expect to be accorded that much responsibility, considering I'm basically just starting out the "office-life". (I just farted in this bus ^_^).

I'm not sure what I want, I just know what I do not want. I do not want a job that is not even nearly challenging. I do not want a job where I have to meet a target every month; I hate marketing. I do not want a job where I have to trek (or bike or drive around) the streets of Lagos every week. All these automatically rule out any future endeavour in real estate, considering it practically fuses up these three and shoves it in your barely-trained face.
I want a desk job. Not just any desk job (since that's what I have now, anyway). I want a job that will make me worry if I can actually do what they want me to. A desk job where I always have to think. A job that widens my horizon, that the biggest decision I have to take is not what property I'll have to pick as the Property of the Week on Facebook.
I want a job where I get to have meetings, chip in valuable ideas, write. I want a job where I actually have something to do. Even if I'm not doing what I want, I don't want to do something I don't want. I. Can. Never. Go. Into. Marketing. NEVER! I will NOT go out everyday looking for silly properties. Not for money. Not for grades. I would rather forge my Logbook. I would rather stay and suck off my father. NEVER.

I will probably have to suck it up here, and continue to tweet and Facebook for the next six months. It's better than having to do nothing, or going out to source for properties. But, I will keep on leaving my office at 5pm, very unfulfilled. Very unhappy.

I am @Niyi__ on twitter. Big thanks to @Uberchocmeista.

1 comment:

  1. Goodluck with writing off your dream instead of living to realize it. U get paid, u sit n suck off fB n twirra, yelz but den how do u chase wat u want.. Manna don't fall nomore dude

    ReplyDelete

Samgbotemi@gmail.com